New Haven Register Blogs: Pilots' Blog: Cilic makes history

Pilots' Blog

Our bloggers check in with the latest news and views from the 2008 Pilot Pen Tennis Tournament.


Saturday, August 23, 2008

Cilic makes history

Teenager Marin Cilic won his first career title with a 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 win over Mardy Fish in the men's singles final.

Cilic finished off Fish with a 123 mile an hour ace. He raised his arms in celebration and after a couple of seconds he fell to his knees in celebration.

"I was all over the place, my mind was going (everywhere)," Cilic said. "I will know next time how (to celebrate)."

Fish was obviously disappointed after losing in the New Haven final for the second year in a row and dropping to 2-9 in ATP finals.

"It's my 11th final and I have only won twice and it is starting to really sting," said Fish. "I have a lot of runner-up trophies. These are the ones I need to get. To get somebody who certainly has a lot of talent, a lot of up side and will be out here for a long time. I would have liked to have put more pressure on him and showed that I was a little more adapted to the situation.
"I love this tournament, I would love to win this tournament. I have come close both times and I feel like I can do it again. I felt there were some great opportunities to get my third title. There are definitely a lot of what ifs, a lot of finals of tournaments I have played."

Lisa Raymond and Kveta Peschke won the women's doubles title with a 4-6, 7-5, 10-7 win over Sorana Cirstea and Monica Niculescu. It was Raymond's 67th career doubles title and second straight in New Haven.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



CONTACT US • ADVERTISE WITH US •  OUR PUBLICATIONS • PRIVACY POLICY
NEWSPAPERS IN EDUCATION • JOBS WITH US
© 2008 Journal Register Company. All Rights Reserved.